Frugal Find Friday: Klout

Let’s start today with a Friday fun fact. I’m always, ALWAYS, behind the curve when it comes to technology. Basically, I’m a shame to the millennial name. My first Tweet was back in January (why yes, that does correspond with the inception of this blog). I’ve never “instagramed” (best parody song ever).  I still don’t have a Spotify account and I started “pinning” two weeks ago. My point? I hadn’t heard about Klout until about a month ago and never considered starting an account until today, thanks to one of my favorite bloggers: Johnny Moneyseed.

If you’ve never heard of Klout, it tracks how “influential” you are.

joey air quotes

(If we were talking in person there absolutely would have been air quotes around influential. Maybe even a Liz Lemon eye roll.)

Klout tracks your social media presence via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Tumbler, WordPress, YouTube, Instagram etc, etc. You sign in via Twitter or Facebook and link whatever accounts you’d like to your Klout profile. For example, I have my #Broke Millennial Twitter handle and #Broke Millennial Facebook page synced to Klout, but neither of my personal accounts. Klout analyzes your data and assigns you a score out of 100.

Why is this a Frugal Find? Because you get perks! Based on your level of Klout-analyzed influence you are eligible for rewards. For example, my first perk was for 50 custom-made business cards from MOO (shipping not included, of course). I assume the offer is based more on my decision to sign up and less on my Klout score. The perks do get better. Based on her Klout score, co-worker of mine received an invite to an NYC-based event and got up close and personal with Eli Manning, Kate Upton and Flo Rida.

image

I’m still learning all the nuances of Klout, but if it results in free things you can bet I’m doing some digging.

Do you have a tip for Frugal Find Friday? Send it my way via Twitter, Facebook or Email!

Bonus: Sharing the Love

Why I Don’t Deep A Lot of Cash Around in an Emergency FundDebt Blag. Emergency funds have been a popular topic lately and Debt Blag offers some fodder for debate.

No-Brainer Benefits to Take Advantage of At WorkYoung Adult Money. He keeps it simple and calls out 401(k) match right away!

When Passion Turns Into WorkDebt Roundup. “Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.” Right? Or maybe not.

Empower Yourself Through Goal-OrientationJohnny Moneyseed. JM’s post is a good lesson which transcends the financial world. Plus, it included this sentence: You’ll never regret spending 1 hour a day working out (unless you’re mauled by a wild animal during your work out).

15 Reasons Jean-Ralphio From “Parks & Recreation” Is An Awesome Human BeingBuzzFeed. Because it’s Friday and we all need a laugh.

Posted in Frugal Find Friday, Uncategorized Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,
19 comments on “Frugal Find Friday: Klout
  1. Mr. 1500 says:

I was vaguely aware of Klout, but decided to give it a try today. I signed up moments ago and I’m a 45. No idea what that means, but go 45! Wooo!

Thanks Erin and JM for the suggestion!

2. Aww thanks B, you’re one of my favorite bloggers too. But you already knew that. I’m way behind the curve too. I just sent up my Klout account a couple weeks ago. I Googled “Barack Obama” for some reason, and his bio that came up in the search engine had the little Twitter bird, the Facebook logo and the number 98. I was pretty interested to see what it meant, and five minutes later I’m signing up for another social media site! The cool thing about it is that it’s just an aggregator that combines your data from the other sites. You don’t have to do anything crazy on it, like Tweet or post Status Updates. It’s pretty straight-forward: how influential are you?

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Once we figure out how to sync our sites to it, I’ll be interested how much that changes the score. I would think your site would boost your “klout” but a decent amount.

3. Debt Blag says:

Sweet! Thanks for the mention.

Klout is another thing you kids do that I’m still trying to figure out. I signed up a little while back when I read that they were giving out airline miles or airport VIP club passes or something, but I didn’t have I high enough Klout score to get it (I believe I needed 50).

Also, what does it mean to “give Klout?”

4. I don’t like the idea of “influence” within the context of social media. Just because someone gets RT’d a lot doesn’t make them an influential person. Referring to ourselves as influential is a strange concept to me. Many of the wise people we quote today didn’t walk around calling themselves an influence to society. It just happened because they were actually smart.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Hence me writing “influential.” Said it person, it would have come off incredibly sarcastic. I’m in it for the perks!

5. Debt RoundUp says:

I started dealing with Klout a few months ago, but never really did much with it. I haven’t figured out if it actually does anything for your website, but it is interesting to watch your “Klout” go up and down. Thank you kindly for the mention. It is much appreciated.

6. I started using it several months ago, but have yet to really dive into it a whole lot. It’s on my list of things to take care of. I think it’s sort of fun to watch your score go up and down.

7. I got Klout a yearish ago but don’t really pay attention to it. I probably should, but again, I only really care about cultivating my media presence with Twitter. 🙂 Didn’t realize you received Perks, I should probably go back again.

I still am bad at Pinterest despite Chelsea’s reminder at pinning on her Millenial board.

8. I just signed about a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how to use it or if it is useful at all, but oh well. 🙂

9. I’ve tried really REALLY hard on Klout. I’ve been stuck in the 50-54 range for what seems like forever. I did receive a Red Bull magazine once, that was pretty cool.

Anyways, yes, use it as a frugal find, but not as a basis for your overall social media prowess. Many social media managers take a Klout score with a grain of salt.

10. Ok I joined. My score is a 45. What does that mean? Also how does Klout make money??? What’s their purpose?

11. Ooooo get the Moo business cards, got myself some and paid the shipping which was about $7 dollars. They’re just so pretty. Also I’m randomly getting some clorox cleaning product soon because of Klout, pretty sweet.

12. cashrebel says:

Oh man, this is going to be bad for my productivity… Thanks for keeping me up with the trends. I’m a someone behind the times MIllennial as well!

13. Sadly this is also the first time I heard of Klout. I don’t know how it works but I might try it some time. Thanks for look out.

14. I’m with you on the lack of technical knowledge. In fact, I hadn’t even heard of Klout until about 2 minutes ago :-). Once I get used to my Facebook page, maybe then I’ll head on over to Klout. 🙂

15. Thanks for mentioning my post! I’ve used klout some but not too much. The more time you spend giving people klout who then return klout to you seems to be a quick way to raise your klout. I got a couple of rewards, but nothing amazing. Best rewards was a $5 mcdonald’s gift card 😉

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Frugal Find Friday: Klout"
  1. […] I Heart Budgets, Master the Art of Saving, KNS Financial, The Frugal Model, All Things Finance, #BrokeMillennial, Budget Blonde, Common Cents Wealth, The Frugal Farmer, Money Smart Guides, Free at 33, Reach […]