5 Eye Roll Inducing Statements About Money

IMG_2514Looking for entertainment? Try riding a New York City subway. No, not because mariachi bands, break dancers, barbershop quartets and accordion players subject us to their “talents.” The subway provides ample opportunity to eavesdrop on people’s conversations. Luckily for me, people love to bemoan about their financial situations. While I keep my nose buried in a book, probably about money, I listen in on people coming up with the worst excuses about handling money and all I can do is roll my eyes. Here are some of my favorites.

1) It’s too confusing to set up a 401k.

Yes, setting up a 401k is confusing. Even though I enjoy the process of learning about money and investments, I still felt quite baffled about my 401k. Sure, we don’t all have financially savvy parents to hold our hands, but I bet your company offers a person you can turn to for some help. If not, perhaps a friend or co-worker could outline some of the basics. Or, just maybe, you could read up on the subject. If your company matches your 401k contributions, then you are throwing away money by being too lazy to set up your account.

2) I don’t make enough money to save any.

To feel financially stable, you must become one with the art of saving money. The earlier you develop the habit, the better off you’ll be in the long run. If you have debt it’s still important to create the habit of saving money, especially for immediate expenses. Even if you’re just saving $5 per paycheck at first, you’ll be creating a habit that will benefit you for the rest of your life. [Insert emergency fund debate here.]

3) I just don’t like dealing with money.

Few things reduce me to a Liz Lemon level eye roll quicker (yup, recycling that reference) than someone saying “I don’t like dealing with money.” Guess, what?! It doesn’t matter. You’re going to have to deal with money if you’d like to be an independent, well-adjusted member of society. Raphael Fellmer, the German man on a money strike, still has to use currency for health care, transportation and to feed his child (or at least his wife does). I also question the “well-adjusted member of society” part for anyone who is pulling an Into the Wild type moment.

4) My parents cut me off and I can’t find a job.

Oh. No. You. Didn’t.

If your parents cut you off then you were probably suckling at the parental welfare teet for far too long to begin with. As a girl who worked at Starbucks after graduating college, I have little sympathy for anyone who claims to be unable to find a job. You can find A job, just perhaps not THE job. A college degree, or fancy pedigree, doesn’t entitle you to anything. If you need money then find employment, any (legal) employment.

5) Damn, I got an overdraft charge!

This one goes beyond eye rolling. I usually have to clench my jaw to keep myself from screaming WHYYYYYY?! An overdraft charge is the byproduct of financial apathy. If you sense you’re close to zeroing out your bank account then download your bank’s smartphone app so you can check your balance before making a withdraw. Don’t have a smartphone? Get in the habit of checking your balance on your computer, so you’re aware of how much money you have. Okay, maybe mistakes happen. I’ll give you one pass. After the first overdraft charge, I’m officially judging. And my best friend, TV, taught me how to be a grade-A judgmental….

What statements about money makes you want to roll your eyes?

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Financial Literacy
39 comments on “5 Eye Roll Inducing Statements About Money

Haha, great stuff Erin. So many of the excuses out there are just another way of saying “I’m too lazy”. Trust me, I’ve used similar excuses before, whether it’s for financial decisions or things like car maintenance, and it’s cost me. Excuses might make you feel a little better about yourself in the moment, but they’re hurting you every time you make them. Stop making excuses and start finding solutions. They’re often much simpler than you might think.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

I think the other big excuse area is about health and fitness. I’m guilty on many accounts there, so I know “people in glass houses” and what not. But some of these complainants just really irk me and have such simple solutions.

2. Michelle says:

I hate when some people say that they don’t have enough time to make money. One of my friends always says this and she only works 4 days a MONTH. She doesn’t go to school or have children either. I don’t get what she does with her time. They are flat broke too and have been begging people for grocery money lately.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Oh, that’s another great excuse! How does your friend only work 4 days a month?! Sounds either really lucky or really unfortunate.

3. E.M. says:

The overdraft fees are silly. I once had a coworker who was maybe two years older than me at the time, who constantly drained his account. As soon as he got paid, it was spent, and because he never checked it, he would always go negative. Just be mindful of your account (or stop spending so much). I really do think it comes down to being lazy. One of my friends is a teacher, so he had all summer off. Instead of finding a job like he originally planned, he just went on a lot of mini-vacations and purchased a brand new car. If I had time off like that I would definitely be taking advantage by working!

4. Yeah the “I can’t get a job” one always gets me. Uh, yes you can. If you need to you will do whatever it takes. It may not be pleasant, in fact I’m sure it won’t) lol, but it can be done.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Plus, it looks good on a resume to have a solid work ethic and do what it takes to make ends meet. And you can spin Starbucks/McDonald’s type jobs as “great experience in customer service.” Managers eat that up!

5. #1. My old company offered a Guided Choice option. We talked to someone about our risk tolerance and they helped us out. Sidenote: I am a HUGE fan of opt-out 401(k) plans instead of opt-in. Participation rates increase dramatically.
    #2. Almost everyone makes enough, they just don’t know where it’s going.
    #3. Grow up. You are an adult.
    #4. See number 3. Also, as Kristen Wiig once said, “I feel bad for your parents.”
    #5. I overdrafted a million times as a freshman in college. Never again.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

I like the idea of opt-out too. At least people would have to be more proactive and think about the decision.

And related to #2, I had a similar conversation with Peach recently.

6. I absolutely loved this post. My favorite line, “you were probably suckling at the parental welfare teet for far too long to begin with”. I recently did a post on Penny Pinchin’ Mom that talked about when parents should cut their children off if they are over-needy! Thanks for the great read!

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it (and my general snark). I’ve advocated parents charging their children rent after college, so I’m sure that line came as no surprise to a lot of readers.

7. Great post Erin. Unfortunately, my job doesn’t offer a 401k (at the moment, you know, good ole’ AmeriCorps), but when I do, I probably will get one. I have said some of these “eye rolling things”, but have gotten over them. I don’t know about the overdrafting fee. I get so nervous when I have less than 100 in my account (which is often) that I make sure I don’t spend.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Great to be on top of your bank account! It’s hard to get a 401k (or even matched 401k) in the non-profit world. When your able to think about it, maybe you should consider an IRA (or Roth IRA)!

8. moneystepper says:

Great post. All those are pretty annoying. Another annoying one for me (being a maths graduate)…

“I didn’t do the math to work out which was best”.

As much as everyone hates it, the math is pretty darn important to getting out of debt and getting where you want to financially. Do the math!!

• #BrokeMillennial says:

And even when you aren’t getting out of debt, it’s important to manage your finances!

I’m not the biggest fan of math, but I do love understanding money. I’ve had to just get over the disliking math part.

9. Excellent post!
    Life boils down to choices and more often than not there are always options to accomplish something so as someone likes reminding me, “Stop Whining & Do Something About It!”

10. Debt RoundUp says:

Awesome post Erin. I really like this one. I hear these all too many times. It is frustrating to say the least.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Thanks, Grayson! I’m sure I could think of plenty more, but figured it was best to limit the ranting.

11. I love this post. I can’t stand it when people complain (I actually mentioned this very topic in my post today). I can only imagine all of the wonderful things you hear on the subway. :)

Oh, and this line made me giggle: “If your parents cut you off then you were probably suckling at the parental welfare teet for far too long to begin with”.

12. It baffles me when people tell me they don’t like “dealing” with money. I don’t like taking a shower because I then have to spend twenty minutes unsnarling my very uncooperative hair. But not taking a shower isn’t really an option. In fact, it’s publicly frowned on. I’m not going to be able to make it go away by avoiding it. It’s not how it works.

13. Great Post! I’ve heard each and everyone of these statements and yes they drive me nuts too. I know someone who pays to get a money order each month to pay his rent because otherwise he’d get an overdraft fee…balance your check book! Oh and the kids suckling from their parents welfare teet are the worst. They are spoiled and never learned any responsibility.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Parents have to assume some blame too for not cutting them off.

And yes, to balancing the check book! It isn’t as difficult or time consuming as people seem to think.

14. The one that always gets me is “if only I had the money for that.” Typically the person saying it will be saying it for the rest of their life, no matter how much $ they accumulate.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

I thought about including that one, but it warrants it’s own post so I saved it! If you’ve read Rich Dad Poor Dad, there are some great tales about how you should never think “if only I could afford x,y or z.”

15. Catherine says:

Not only do I take public transit to work too and hear amazing stuff, I deal with the public….my mind is blown every day.

16. I feel like lots of companies that offer 401k plans actually make it fairly easy to set up. It might take some time to do it, yes, but once it’s set up and you have automatic deposits you don’t have to put in much effort at all. That’s what I like about it.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

If you are complete unfamiliar with investing, I understand why picking options or even understanding conservative vs. aggressive portfolios are confusing. But on the scale of investing, certainly an easier one.

17. Can I add neck wringing and face slapping in addition to the eye rolling? ;) If only people would take all that time and energy used to complain about never having enough or not being able to afford it and actually DO something about it.

If you don’t like your situation, then it’s up to you to change it. Sometimes people don’t want to put in the work.

• #BrokeMillennial says:

Well, I could get arrested for the neck wringing and face slapping, so I tend to just stick with the eye rolling! And you’re right, if you don’t like the situation then make the steps to fix it.

18. hollyatclubthrifty says:

I think I’ve heard all of those from people at some point! I think that some people say that they “don’t like dealing with money” as some sort of defense mechanism!

19. Good ones, Erin! I bet your subway ride is pure entertainment. My favorite is #3. Sorry – but we handle money every day! Do you buy a coffee, eat lunch out, join co-workers for drinks after work. I hear versions of this every day. :)

• #BrokeMillennial says:

I usually hear it as, “I don’t want to take the time to learn even the basics about money.” It makes me sad, because putting in a little effort can really make you feel empowered about money and life.

20. John says:

“If you need money then find employment, any (legal) employment.” This. A thousand times this. McDonald’s is always hiring. I had a friend who was unemployed for well over a year because she “just couldn’t find a job”. So they had to try to make do on her partner’s salary. It was awful, and the excuse of not being able to find a job is just ridiculous. Get a job. Get two. Yes, they might suck, but it’s a paycheck.

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "5 Eye Roll Inducing Statements About Money"
  1. […] 5 Eye Roll Inducing Statements About Money on Broke Millennial […]

2. […] Broke Millennial will roll her eyes if you make any of these five statements about money. […]