Sales Lessons from the Streets

Shanghai orphanage Nov 2007 027Long time readers may know that I spent much of my childhood living in Asia. Previous posts have discussed the privileged upbringing I was able to experience and the myriad of opportunities being an expat afforded me (including getting used to flying in first class).  Without a doubt, the most mind-opening part was traveling to dozens of countries before I became a legal adult. My Dad has chronicled many of our family excursions and his work trips on his own blog. Today, I’d like to share one of my favorite posts he wrote, about sales tactics from child peddlers on the streets of Vietnam, Cambodia and a special girl from Tibet. This post originally ran on his site about a year ago.

For most of the past 20 years, I have been involved in international business. Like many of my generation seeking upward mobility, I worked a few years after graduating from college and then got an MBA. Over the years I also attended “executive” education courses at some of the top business schools. Despite all the expensive training, I found most of my business education of marginal value compared to actual experience. The majority of successful business relationships I have made over the years weren’t because of complicated strategies and clever tactics. Business boils down to people and establishing a good reason for them to trust you with their business.

Over the years my family lived in Asia, we visited many places that would not be considered hot beds of business education. Cities like Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), Siem Reap, and Lhasa but in each place I learned a lesson that had more value than many of the case studies I toiled over in business school.

During our first trip to Viet Nam, we stayed in central Ho Chi Minh City. Shortly after arrival, we went for a walk. A few blocks from the hotel we were approached by a little girl that looked like a 3rd grader but was probably in Jr. High. She immediately asked about our family – how old were our daughters? Where were we from? Why did we come to Viet Nam? What were our travel plans while we were in her country?

She was charming and spoke English very well. After drawing us in, she got down to business by showing us what she wanted to sell us – Lonely Planet Travel Guides which a large percentage of ex-pats on vacation use for reference.

She told us the books she had were great copies run on nearby high speed presses – she also threw in a few more technical details that went over my head. She handed the Lonely Planet Guide for Viet Nam to my wife and offered us a price that was about 25% of what we would have paid for it in a bookstore. Ever the careful shopper, my wife started to look though the book. The girl pointed out that the cover was just as good quality as an original. Suspicious that my wife was making sure all the pages were in the book, the young lady stopped her and said: “Look, lady – this book is good quality and cheap – are you really going to check all the pages when you are spending less than $4? It isn’t worth your time.”

This kid was a sales guru – in the space of a couple minutes she had charmed us and established a relationship, qualified us as customers, showed her product, handled objections, and put a closing argument on us we were powerless to walk away from. In the end we bought more than one book. A true sales professional in a child’s body, I can only imagine what the future holds for her.

Lonely Planet guy(We found the gentleman who was on the cover of the Lonely Planet Guide to Cambodia.)

A few days later we flew to Siem Reap, Cambodia to visit the ruins at Angkor Wat. We were tired and sweaty after a long day of hiking and climbing. As we made our way back to our hired car, a young lady confidently approached us. “Hi, I am Lillian, are you Americans?” she asked. When she got an affirmative response, she followed up with “what state are you from?” Once she heard North Carolina, she said “the capital of North Carolina is Raleigh” and then said “I know every state capital”. That was her hook – she reeled us in. “Ok”, I replied “what is the capital of South Dakota?”  “Pierre” was the immediate response. I closed with “Mississippi?” Her rejoinder was “Jackson.”
Fully aware that the majority of graduating high school seniors in the US cannot name all the states and state capitals, I was impressed by this pre-teen from the third world who was preparing to access my wallet.
Her transition to making a sale wasn’t brilliant but it was effective. She told us that since she had shown us that she knew something about our country; she wanted to “help” us learn more about her country. She produced a slightly dog – eared copy of a book about the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot – who was responsible for the massive genocide in Cambodia that happened during my college years. Since she was asking more than the price printed on the book and the book wasn’t new, I tried to negotiate the price but she was having none of it. She closed the deal with a smile and I walked away, humbled but pleased, with my over-priced book.
Cambodia children(Friends we made on the street who invited us into their home.)

What impressed me about both transactions was that unlike so many experiences when people try to sell to tourists in the third world, neither of these young ladies made the common “guilt” pitch that we should buy whatever they had to sell because we had money and they were going pester us until we gave them some.

A couple years later we visited Tibet. Lhasa was definitely on my bucket list but we had some concerns about accommodations and food. I had visited much of rural China and knew when travel agents talk about “best available” accommodations – it normally is not good news. We were lucky in Lhasa – all the toilet paper and granola bars I brought  with me turned out to be unnecessary insurance.
We stayed in what had been the Embassy for Nepal. We had a great time in the thin mountain air.  Thinking our time on the “rooftop of the world” would mean a week of roughing it, we were surprised to see Mexican and French restaurants in unimpressive buildings but with great food. One night after having excellent cheeseburgers, we walked out of a restaurant and were greeted by a young girl who asked if I knew the words to “Red River Valley” – when I told her I didn’t know all the words, she asked if I would sing it with her anyway. Strange request on a dusty side street in Tibet from a girl who was born during the heyday of the “Smashing Pumpkins.” I did my best to sing along with this girl who was tolerant of this glaring gap in my musical knowledge. In the distance I could see an older man watching the girl carefully.
I didn’t get the feeling he was a stalker, so I assumed they were connected. When the singing was over, I asked why she knew the song. She said her grandfather learned it from Americans who ended up in China during  World War II. He learned English from songs. I assumed grandpa was the man watching from afar.
Tibet 041(This is Sarah. And yes, I did crop my sister out. She got cranky last time I used a photo from “braces phase.”)
A few minutes passed as my wife and daughters spoke with “Sarah” – her English name. It came up in conversation that we were living in Japan. Suddenly a torrent of Japanese came out of Sarah’s mouth. I asked her in Japanese how she learned Japanese. Again – grandpa. At that point, I really wanted to meet grandpa so I walked over and introduced myself and asked about his precocious granddaughter.
He explained that the Chinese government was changing Tibet and that he wanted to prepare Sarah for a life outside of Tibet and maybe outside of China. A couple times a week they went out on the streets of Lhasa so she could practice speaking foreign languages with native speakers. He normally stayed in the distance so that Sarah would learn better how to interact and rely on her own skills. I could have spent a couple days talking with this interesting old man. Grandpa had a clearer globalization strategy for his granddaughter than most American companies have for their business. Grandpa was clearly not a man of means but he was getting his granddaughter ready to succeed in a changing world. Rather than try to sell us something, Sarah wound up giving my wife and daughters bracelets. We also got her email address and it was our hope to stay in touch. Unfortunately we never got a response to emails sent to that address. Hopefully we simply wrote it down incorrectly.

Traveling in Asia as a family for over a decade was a great experience. We always called it “vacation” but the lessons we learned were priceless.

Please read more of my Dad’s mind-blowing posts about life in business, as an expat and repatriating to America over on his blog (you should all subscribe)!
Posted in Travel Tagged with: ,
36 comments on “Sales Lessons from the Streets
  1. Michelle A says:

What a great post. Wow, people should definitely learn from this. Such amazing experiences you must have had. I am glad that it has made you the person you are. 🙂

Very very cool all the knowledge that your dad has.

2. That’s pretty cool! I wouldn’t be able to say no to a small child trying to sell me anything. I’m a sucker.
    Holly@ClubThrifty recently posted…Are Humans Meant to Eat Meat? A RantMy Profile

I’d like to think I’m not a sucker — but it is really hard to say no to little kids. Even after reading books and seeing documentaries/mega-movies like Slumdog Millionaire – which make it pretty realistic for foreigners to understand the “system” – it’s still hard to say no.

3. Wow, I’m loving this post. I’d love to be in your shoes! Thanks for the great read!
    JRod from CNAFinance.com recently posted…Financial Lessons I Wish I Could Teach My 25 Year Old SelfMy Profile

4. Wow, I’ve traveled in China and in other third world countries and I’ve seen kids selling stuff, but none with this type of sales sophistication! I wouldn’t have been able to say No. Usually they don’t speak much English and there is a mob of them, and they try to sell homemade crafts. When I was in China, I was annoyed at some of the people in my tour group who were playing hardball in the negotiations with the little kids. These were impoverished gaunt little kids trying to sell some souvenirs for let’s say $5 USD and the tourists were trying to get them down to $4 USD. It’s one freaking dollar…just give it to the kid…relax, even if you overpay by one measley dollar, it is no big deal. $1 is a much bigger deal to the impoverished kid.
    Andrew@LivingRichCheaply recently posted…Do You Judge Someone’s Financial Worth By The “Cover”?My Profile

• Dad says:

Andrew:

The experience really depends on where you go. Tour groups are always targets and we always traveled on our own. I totally agree that haggling with a kid over the last penny would be a soul sucking event but an honest, friendly negotiation is good for kids and it shows respect. At least that is my opinion and I tend to be a little bit of a soft touch with little kids.

Of course, the three stories in this post were some of the more interesting ones. Some were heartbreaking like the women who “rent” babies for a few hours to beg from foreigners.

I carried plenty of US dollar bills which often I just gave to kids depending on the interaction. One time in Cambodia we were touring a floating town (literally floating) and a kid came along side our boat in a bucket big enough for one. He had a big smile. I gave him a dollar which he waved around. Five minutes later, we noticed an small armada of kids in big buckets coming towards us.

I remember the little boy in the bucket quite well.

The most heartbreaking part for me (when traveling solo or on Habitat builds) is always have to pick which kids you can support. I did find that sometimes kids in rural villages away from tourist traps just wanted some attention or to interact with foreigners. If I didn’t have money I tried to have some friendly words and a smile.

5. Wow – what great stories. Those girls were wonderful salespeople and I particularly love the story about Sarah. Her grandfather was so smart to help her prepare her for a life outside of China. I definitely need to check our your father’s blog. 🙂
    Shannon @ The Heavy Purse recently posted…Giving and Gratitude Make Christmas Truly MagicalMy Profile

Sarah was certainly a remarkable young woman and I hope she is having a safe and healthy life (hopefully still in Tibet and wasn’t forced into schooling on the mainland).

I still have the bracelets she gave us.

6. Really beautiful — and smart — post! I love the comeback: “[A]re you really going to check all the pages when you are spending less than $4? It isn’t worth your time.” Hilarious! And true, too. Always know the value of what you’re paying for (and how much it might cost you elsewhere).
    Michelle @fitisthenewpoor recently posted…My Dream Christmas ListMy Profile

7. Wonderful story. It sounds like you and your family have had some really incredible experiences and I’m sure your parents are so happy to have been able to help you see so much of the world at such a young age. After reading this I need to head over to your dad’s blog to read more!
    Laura @ RichmondSavers.com recently posted…Travel Rewards: Two Free Boston to Dublin Round-Trip Flights with One Credit Card SignupMy Profile

8. eemusings says:

Amazing! Yes, the street sellers in Asia really know how to hustle. I quickly learned not to respond to the inevitable opening ‘Where are you from?’ if I didn’t want to get embroiled in a sales pitch. It’s amazing how many languages some of them learn (just the basics usually) so they can talk to tourists from all over the world.
    eemusings recently posted…Tuesday Tunes: My life soundtrackMy Profile

I liked making them try to guess. Always made me chuckle when I “sounded Australian” just because I spoke English. My American accent doesn’t nothing like an Aussie – but I guess we all sound alike.

9. I was only in Asia for 7 months, but my experience was primarily with children begging rather than selling.
    thebrokeandbeautifullife recently posted…How I Earn a “Living”.My Profile

Both are hard to say no to, but I do naturally feel more inclined to give money to performers or sellers because they’re trying to earn instead of just beg.

10. Good job getting dad to guest post! Any way you can get him to be a staff writer? I can’t even get my dad to comment although he is a regular reader.

Those two sales girls were very smart. They figured out how to relate to better sell. I don’t think I ever encountered those types of smarts having lives in Asia for 11 years growing up. But the division between rich and poor really hit home. Made me more thankful, and more willing to work hard not to be poor.

Gonna check out his blog now.
    Financial Samurai recently posted…What’s Life Like As A Financial Advisor? Depends On Your Pain ToleranceMy Profile

Perhaps my Dad and I could do blog swaps. Not sure I can afford him as a staff writer.

I’m with you on seeing such a huge division between the rich and poor and feeling both motivated and blessed. The first time I walked through a slum is an image I’ll never forget.

One of my favorite sales pitches was having a young woman tell us she’d “bust a cap in your ass” if we didn’t buy something from her. Oh, the legacy of American GIs.

• Maybe you haven’t been offering him enough $$$ Sam!
      Justin @ RootofGood recently posted…Argentina and Uruguay Trip Part 1 – MontevideoMy Profile

11. Very cool that your Dad has a blog, I had no idea! Sounds like your family has had some awesome experiences abroad.
    DC @ Young Adult Money recently posted…My Laptop is Now Six Years OldMy Profile

He was blogging YEARS before I started. Even though experienced so many of the trips he references, I still love reading about them through his eyes.

12. The reason why those kids were such good sales people was for survival. It’s amazing what people can learn and hustle in order to feed themselves and their family. I bet you those kids didn’t even get to high school, what a difference 10,000 miles make. If they were in America they would all excel in school and life, but in those countries they’re trapped in poverty.
    Charles@gettingarichlife recently posted…How I Was Able To Buy Property 4.5….Breaking The Real Estate MythMy Profile

Right, but the point was that they were actually honing their craft instead of just begging. We saw hundreds of similar kids during our years of traveling but they didn’t all have finely-tuned sales pitches.

13. I’m glad you posted this here! It’s definitely a story that needs to be shared 🙂
    Ben @ The Wealth Gospel recently posted…My Love Hate Relationship With SportsMy Profile

Thanks, Ben. After sending it to you and Cat, I realized I loved it so much it needed to be shared with a wider audience!

First of all, your dad is the man! Second of all, love the Duke sweatshirt! Third, these are some real sales lessons here. I always feel uncomfortable selling, but I love the point here that it comes down to forming a relationship AND having something of real value to sell. If you have those two things you’re golden.
    Matt Becker recently posted…How to Know When You Need Life InsuranceMy Profile

Thanks, Matt. 1) My Dad is needed the man. 2) That was an insanely comfortable sweatshirt that appears to have gotten lost on the move back to America. 3) I couldn’t agree more.

15. What great cultural experiences you’ve had. I’m amazed that these kids know more about our country then we do!
    Tonya@Budget & the Beach recently posted…From The Biggest Loser to Bionic Body: An Interview with Kim LyonsMy Profile

When we lived in Shanghai, our driver (yes — we were required to have a driver for legal reasons) identified where someone was from based on their “basketball team.” If someone said, “I’m from New York” he’d say, “Oh, the Knicks!” Or he’d ask for your preferred NBA team to deduce your home state.

16. Dad says:

Appreciate the comments. I have had readers from over 30 countries read my blog but almost never get comments so this was a nice change.

17. I think I would find it hard to say no to someone who shows a lot of knowledge about a country whose own citizens cannot memorize a lot of pertinent information relative to his or her nation. What an adventure you must have had.
    Jen @ Frugal Rules recently posted…I Was Called Frugal and Got A Little OffendedMy Profile

18. Thanks for sharing some great stories. I have had some simliar experiences in South America and learned a lot from meeting all sorts of different people. It is amazing what going out and exploring the world can mean to your life.

19. Wow. That kid will go places and earn tons of cash.
    Jennifer Kimberley recently posted…Rocking Body Raw Food – $147My Profile