Using My Major on Alicia Menendez Tonight

Yesterday, I had the wonderful opportunity to do something all college graduates dream of — use my major.

Almost three years after graduation I had the opportunity to put that broadcast journalism training to good use while doing a segment for Alicia Menendez Tonight on Fusion. We chatted strategies for retirement and how it’s possible for millennials to leave the work force early (as outlined in a DailyFinance post I wrote in November).

The full segment can be found below. Plus, it felt pretty legit to be the opening act to a personal finance heavy-hitter like Suze Orman who had a segment later in the show.

Posted in Millennials, Retirement Tagged with: ,
31 comments on “Using My Major on Alicia Menendez Tonight
  1. That’s awesome that you had a segment on the same show as Suze Orman! Also it’s funny how many people don’t use their college major on a day-to-day basis, seems like it’s more and more each year.
    DC @ Young Adult Money recently posted…15 Ways to Improve your Finances in the New Year – Part 2My Profile

Thanks, DC! I was really excited but a little glad she wasn’t in the same studio (I filmed in NYC and she was in Miami). I might have been a bit intimidated if she had been there to listen in.

I guess I technically use my major because it was Journalism/Mass Communications and I work in PR…but I don’t use my broadcast focus at all.

2. Congratulations! That’s a great opportunity. I bet it went well, because you knew what you were doing, unlike me if I were in the same situation!

Haha, thanks Anne. I’m glad I just didn’t come off nervous and blush like a crazy person. My whole body flushes when I get anxious and I look like a tomato.

3. Erin this is so awesome! Congrats, what a great interview!
    Dee @ Color Me Frugal recently posted…Talking to Your Partner About MoneyMy Profile

Thanks, Dee! It was such a fulfilling opportunity. I also like watching this kinds of things back to figure out where to improve for the (hopefully) next time.

4. Dear Debt says:

Erin, nice segment! You look great and sound great! I’ve started to throw $50 a month towards retirement, even though my main focus is on being debt free. Once, I am debt free I can’t wait to significantly increase that and focus on that as my next goal.
    Dear Debt recently posted…How to Turn Jealousy into ProductivityMy Profile

I’m really glad to hear you’re still putting money towards retirement even in debt. I think it’s so important to start ASAP and watching that sweet, sweet compound growth. I understand it can be hard to reconcile with debt repayment and compound interest working against you…

5. Alicia says:

This is awesome – Congrats Erin! I love the outfit, and how you’re not nervous. I can public speak fairly well, but I think throwing in the cameras, etc… I’d be toast.

Thanks, Alicia. I was really nervous, but glad it came off like I wasn’t. A friend of mine actually works in daytime TV so she came and helped me pick out my outfit. Bright colors are the way to go!

6. Mr. NYBudget says:

Nicely done. It’s so great that you are stepping outside of your blog and reaching people who are not actively searching for personal finance on the web.
    Mr. NYBudget recently posted…Being Generous and Frugal: A Goal for 2014My Profile

Thank you. I really would like to find a way to continue with this line of work too. It’s a great way to reach out to folks.

7. Well done Erin! I think you handled yourself professionally and did an awesome job.
    Grayson @ Debt Roundup recently posted…How To Make More Money – Ways To Earn Extra IncomeMy Profile

Thank you Grayson! Professional was really the angle I was going for too! I was up with some heavy-hitters.

8. Great job Erin! How cool! Well I think I missed that early retirement boat. lol! But that’s ok…I still feel young and have many more working years…just hopefully soon completely enjoyable working years ahead of me.
    Tonya@Budget & the Beach recently posted…Adventures Around the World: Life as a Travel Club OrganizerMy Profile

I think most folks miss the early retirement boat! Unless I sold a start-up for mega-millions I don’t see it happening for me either. I too hope for enjoyable working years though for a majority of my career.

9. Fantastic interview, Erin! 🙂 You did a great job and looked beautiful too!! What a great opportunity for you and I’m glad you’re helping other millennials (and others too!) become more financially literate.

Thank you, Shannon! I’m hoping to keep on trucking along and making this a semi-regular type of occurrence. I really loved the experience.

10. eemusings says:

Woohoo! You are killing the brand building – you’ll be way ahead if you decide to go the financial planner route later on.
    eemusings recently posted…A year in blogging: a 2013 retrospectiveMy Profile

That is certainly a thought! Even if I decide to go the apply to b-school route, I think it’ll help with that too.

11. Great job, Erin!!!
    Holly@ClubThrifty recently posted…Hey Guys, it’s 2014: Saving on WirelessMy Profile

Nice work! You really sound and look great, which I know isn’t easy when you’re not used to being on TV. Man, you really know how to get everywhere!
    Matt Becker recently posted…Traditional vs. Roth IRA: Some Unconventional Wisdom on Which is Better for Young InvestorsMy Profile

13. Congrats Erin! Good work!
    Stefanie @ thebrokeandbeautifullife recently posted…Stage Door Series: Is It Worth It To Go Local?My Profile

14. David says:

Congratulations!
    It was great to hear your opinions in a video, and not just reading it on a post. You make great points!
    I definitely agree that you should invest your money in 401(k)and an IRA, because the more money made, the merrier.
    David recently posted…China’s Rise in 2014My Profile

Thanks, David. I’m always baffled when co-workers don’t contribute to our company’s 401k. There are very few valid excuses for neglecting to sign up!

15. Wow. Great job. Congratulations!
    Shaun Hoobler recently posted…recipe secrets discountMy Profile