Frugal Find Friday: TIX4STUDENTS

Bryan Cranston

It’s creepy seeing him look so friendly in that get up.

Despite my frugal ways I love nothing more than spending money on the perfect present. True to our traditional gift-giving, Peach and I have decided to forgo presents and splurge on an experience for Valentine’s Day. Or you could just say we’re going on a nice date because he’ll be in town and Hallmark says we’re supposed to (or because St. Valentine got his head lopped off — your choice).

Our original plan had been to see Rocky on Broadway. Yes, you read that correctly. The Italian Stallion is coming to the Great White Way.

So, whilst pursuing various sites for cheap Rocky tickets I stumbled upon something greater. Bryan Cranston will be taking off the yellow meth lab suit (is there a proper name for that) to be playing Lyndon B. Johnson in All The Way.

I’d found the perfect present! Peach loves both Bryan Cranston and all things related to learning about the Civil Rights Movement. Double-win….until I noticed the price tag. The cheap seats were about $70 each. That’s a bit more than either one of us wants to spend when we could do rush tickets for another show and spend less than $70 total.

Scrolling down I saw some small print about student tickets available for purchase online in advance for members of TIX4STUDENTS. I clicked the link and discovered members of TIX4STUDENTS could get two seats for $82.20. That’s a sum I could deal with, even if they will be nose bleed seats.

But here’s the rub (oh yeah, I dropped a Hamlet reference in here).

You have to be a student 18 years of age or older, currently enrolled in an accredited university. Even though I’m thinking about matriculating to grad school, that doesn’t help any. But Peach, well he sure is in grad school. It took him all about a minute and 37 seconds to get registered for the program and pay the $5 membership fee.

Currently, TIX4STUDENTS has only offered deals for Broadway shows, NBA games, college basketball tournaments, NHL games and professional boxing. They are constantly looking for opportunities to expand.

The program was launched in New York and currently only works in the Big Apple, but they are looking to expand to other cities including Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago and Detroit.

So, if you have a trip planned to NYC or live here and are currently enrolled in school (or date someone who is) then check out TIX4STUDENTS. But beware, if you seem to be selling your membership/scalping tickets then they’ll cancel your access.
P.S. Please no Breaking Bad spoilers in the comment section. I’m waiting until late February when the rest of the series goes on Netflix!

What are your favorite ways to score cheaper tickets to shows or events?

Special thanks to Experian for mentioning my DailyFinance article 3 Smart Tactics for Raising Financially Fit Kids (and How They Worked on Me) on their YouTube channel!

[Image taken from Flickr]

Posted in Frugal Find Friday Tagged with: ,
14 comments on “Frugal Find Friday: TIX4STUDENTS
  1. I use goldstar.com for cheap theater tickets here in Chicago! We got super cheap tickets to the opera for about 80% off per seat! It’s fantastic!
    Michelle @fitisthenewpoor recently posted…My Money AversionMy Profile

2. I have seriously considered making a fake student ID so I could get these kinds of deals. I guess you’d need a .edu email address too.
    Stefanie @ thebrokeandbeautifullife recently posted…I Went to the Gym… And It Was AwfulMy Profile

Always a bummer when your student ID has an expiration date. But yeah, you need an .edu address for this. I still have one, but I didn’t bother trying it because Peach is legit.

3. AverageJoe says:

Some traveling companies do this while on the road, so I’d check theaters. My son recently scored tickets by asking if there were “special” student tix. Not only were there student tickets, but the touring company, wanting more young people up front, specifically had two rows near the front. He was third row for $20! I wish I could remember the play….
    AverageJoe recently posted…Blog Post of the Week! …Another Great Month editionMy Profile

Wow, that’s a great deal! I love seeing Broadway shows on the road. SO much cheaper than seeing them here and rarely isn’t the talent level all that much different.

4. Liz says:

I’m not a student anymore and I seriously regret not taking advantage of all the deals and perks out there for students. Maybe if I ever go to grad school I will be better at this.
    Liz recently posted…Building a Work WardrobeMy Profile

There are a lot of general rush options here which are great. I still look quite young so most people mistake me for a student on a regular basis.

5. That should be fun! Around here I use Goldstar. I’m not sure if that’s around everywhere. I also take advantage of the free talk shows from time to time. Ive seen some of my favorite bands at Jimmy Kimmel because they list who will be on the show ahead of time. During the summer they’d play outside in the parking lot and the band usually played about 5 songs so you got a mini concert for free!
    Tonya@Budget & the Beach recently posted…The Big PictureMy Profile

Michelle mentioned that in Chicago. I’ll have to see if they have NYC offerings. Free talk shows are great! I worked at Letterman for a year so got my fill there. I also saw Fallon when he first started on the Late Show.

6. Good find! We are on the mailing list for a local theater group and they email us deals that make it more affordable. I still think it’s a little crazy how much live theater costs, even out here in Phoenix, considering how many more affordable options there are. But we still try to go every now and again, as a treat.
    Done by Forty recently posted…January Net Worth & Goals Update, and Guest Post InviteMy Profile

It certainly is a treat for me too. You can get affordable Broadway tickets with the rush programs, but I have a tough time waking up at 7:45 on a Saturday to go stand in line for tickets.

7. I kept my college id for almost a decade for reasons like this. And I actually REALLY want to see the Rocky musical in a weird way. I just saw a Living Social deal for it that I might utilize. I love seeing plays when they are in preview, it’s the best way to see Broadway, in my opinion. 🙂
    Shannon @ Financially Blonde recently posted…FB Foodie Friday – SupersizedMy Profile

8. Nice. This just gives me an idea for a Valentine’s Day.
    Christopher James recently posted…The Tao of BadassMy Profile