Does the Average Millennial Need Life Insurance?

Regular readers know I’m not married nor have kids, so life insurance isn’t something pressing in my life. However, it is an important topic I felt needed to be addressed. I asked a favorite blogger of mine, Matt from Mom and Dad Money, to help me out. I always appreciate the informative (and accurate) content on Matt’s site. He is a fee-only financial planner, husband and father which I believe makes him qualified to tell us all about bit about life insurance. I’ll hand it over to Matt….

Ahh, life insurance. Everyone’s favorite topic.life insurance love-hate

Truth be told, I have a love/hate relationship with life insurance.

When it’s done right, it is one of my favorite tools out there. It’s a relatively low-cost way to give your family a huge amount of financial security, something I value a lot.

The problem is that it’s often done wrong. Life insurance companies like to package their products with all kinds of complicated and convoluted add-ons, all of which serve mostly to line the pockets of the insurance company while leaving the consumer confused as to why they’re paying so much money for something that isn’t doing nearly all of the wonderful things the salesman said it would do.

So today I want to cut through the confusion and make things as simple as possible for you. By the end of this post, you’ll know whether you need life insurance, how to go about getting it, and what to look out for.

Let’s get started!

Do you even need life insurance?

How do you know if you need life insurance? It’s pretty simple actually. There’s only one rule you have to follow:

You need life insurance if there’s anyone who depends on you financially and you don’t have enough money in your bank accounts to satisfy that need.

That’s it really. But to give you something more concrete, here are the three main types of people who need life insurance:

Working parent – You’ve got children and potentially a spouse who depend on your income for their basic needs. If you were to die, your family would need to replace that lost income for at least some period of time. Unless you’ve already got the savings to handle it (and the reality is that almost no one does when they’re starting out), life insurance is the easiest and least expensive way to do it.

Stay-at-home parent – This one is a little less obvious, but if you’re a stay-at-home parent then you’re providing your family with a HUGE financial benefit. Think about all the costs that would have to be added to your family’s budget if you were gone. Childcare alone could be as much as a couple thousand dollars per month. Once again, life insurance would be there to handle those costs.

Married couple with joint debt – In particular, if you’re a couple with a mortgage that would be difficult for one person alone to afford, it might make sense to get enough life insurance just to cover the balance of the mortgage so it could be paid off if one spouse were to die. But any big debts where both spouses are liable could fall under this category.

There may be some unique circumstances that aren’t covered here, but by and large this is it. If you don’t fall into one of these categories, you probably don’t have any need for life insurance and don’t need to waste your money on it.

But if you do, the rest of this post will help you figure out how to get it and what to watch out for.

How to do life insurance right

Life insurance salesmen like to make it sound complicated. The more complicated it seems, the more likely they are to convince you to buy something you don’t need.

But if you know how to sort through all the BS, it can actually be pretty simple to handle. Here’s how to do it.

What type should you get?

There are lots of different kinds of life insurance out there, but 98% of the time the only kind you need to consider is what’s called “term” insurance. It will protect you for a set number of years (usually 10-30), after which the policy will end.

Some people will look down on term insurance because of the fact that it has an end point, but the end point is actually beneficial to you for two main reasons:

1. Remember that life insurance is only needed when you have people who depend on you financially. If you’re starting a family, that will likely only be the case for the next 20-30 years, after which the kids will be out of the house (maybe). There’s usually no need for insurance any longer than that.
  2. Because it has an end date, term insurance is MUCH cheaper than other types of life insurance, making it MUCH easier to actually get the protection you need at a price you can afford.

And remember this: the insurance wasn’t a waste if you don’t die during the term. Even if you never end up needing it (which would be a good thing, right?), that life insurance provided protection during the entire term. No one wears a bullet proof vest hoping to get shot. Pay for the protection and hope you never need it.

How much life insurance do you need?

So how much life insurance should you buy? That’s actually not an easy question.

When my wife and I were buying it for ourselves, I searched the internet far and wide and found it hard to find anything more than a generic rule of thumb like “10x your income”. That frustrated me, so I created my own method for determining how much life insurance you need. It’s not quick, but it takes your individual needs and wants into account to give you a more personal number.

Two quick things to keep in mind here:

1. The younger you are, the more likely you are to be surprised by how big a number you end up with. The simple truth is that you have a lot of years of income to protect, and that will likely add up to a pretty big number.
  2. One of the most common mistakes I see people make is assuming that the life insurance policy they have through their job is enough. Not only is it not likely to be enough coverage, but you could lose your job or your employer could decide to end the benefit at any time. In most cases it will make the most sense to buy your own policy separate from whatever your employer offers.

How do you actually find a policy?

Once you know how much you need, my first stop would be a site like instantquotelifeinsurance.com to get some quotes. I like them because they don’t collect any contact information and from my experience their quotes are accurate. You can do a little bit of research on the companies offering the lowest prices just to make sure they’ve been around a while and are reputable. Then you can call them up directly to get the process started.

An alternative would be to go through an independent life insurance agent. It can be helpful to have someone leading you through the process, especially if you have any medical conditions that might make things a little more complicated. But still make sure to double-check their quotes against a quote site like the one above to make sure they’re not leading you astray. And don’t be afraid to ask them questions if your own research turns up an option that they didn’t show you. And if they seem dodgy, just ditch them for someone else. No need for loyalty here.

If you follow these steps, you can give your family the protection it needs at the best price possible, and hopefully with minimal problems along the way.

A word of warning

If you’re a young professional, it won’t be long before a friend of yours reaches out and asks to talk to you about life insurance. And if you accept, I 100% guarantee that they’ll try to sell you on the wonders of a product called “whole life insurance”.

The pitch is going to sound good. Really good. Almost like a can’t-miss, no-brainer opportunity. I know because I’ve sat through these pitches as a consumer and felt the draw myself. It’s hard to resist.

But I’ve got four words of warning for you:

STAY. THE. HELL. AWAY.

I’m not going to get into a ton of detail here. If you want to know more you can read all of my thoughts on the subject here. Scrolling down and reading some of the comments from the whole life proponents is especially entertaining. They’re incredibly persistent (mostly because their livelihoods depend on it).

Just know this: whole life insurance can, in unique circumstances, be a useful product for an extremely small subset of people, typically those who are incredibly wealthy. But there’s almost no one in the early stages of their working life for whom this is a good product.

In fact, for 98% of the population it’s a complete money pit. It’s an expensive product with complicated terms and conditions that leaves people under-insured and delivers piss-poor investment returns. But other than those tiny little details, it’s pretty great!

FYI, the same things apply for any life insurance product with words like “variable”, “universal”, “cash value” or “indexed” in the name. If it isn’t “term”, be wary.

So when your salesman friend comes knocking, feel free to be a friend and listen to the pitch. But when they’re done, make sure you walk away empty-handed.

That’s all folks!

Life insurance doesn’t have to be sleazy. It doesn’t have to be complicated. It can actually be pretty simple AND provide you and your family with an enormous benefit.

Hopefully this helps removes some of the confusion for you, but if not, please feel free to add a comment with any questions. I’d love to try and help!

What are your thoughts on life insurance? Any single, childless millennials ponying up for it?

Be sure to check out my post over on Mom and Dad Money about dishing out tough love when it comes to finances!

[Love/Hate image taken from Mai Le on Flickr and money from Giphy]

Posted in Guest Post, Life Insurance Tagged with: , ,
40 comments on “Does the Average Millennial Need Life Insurance?
  1. NZ Muse says:

God no. House or kid, whichever comes first, will be my catalyst to get it.
    NZ Muse recently posted…Class, race, and money: My response to Rookie magMy Profile

2. We didn’t purchase our first policy until the first kids came along. Up until that point, we both had careers and could have survived should one of us had passed away. The only issue we would have faced would have been burial costs, which were being covered based on a minimal amount we received in our benefits package from our employers.
    Brian @ Luke1428 recently posted…7 Unfortunate Reasons People Spew Hatred at Dave RamseyMy Profile

3. Heidi says:

Great article! I’ve pretty much had Life Insurance throughout all of my twenties because we got it when our first son was a babe and I was 23. Just one of those things…better to have it than not.
    Heidi recently posted…7 Thought-Provoking TED Talks About Spirituality, Religion, Faith & ScienceMy Profile

4. Michelle says:

We’re lucky in that we get life insurance for about $2 a month via our work benefits. If it wasn’t just $2, we wouldn’t have it all. No mortgage, no children, nada. Makes no sense for us to have it.
    Michelle recently posted…Why I Want to Quit FreelancingMy Profile

5. Great breakdown! This is a must-read post for any Millennials who aren’t sure about life insurance.

While I’m not single, I am childless and for us, it’s gonna stay that way. My spouse and I both work so we don’t rely on each other financially (and we don’t have any consumer debt). We do have a home, but we have plenty of equity AND if we needed to sell tomorrow we could do it. For all those reasons, I’m not worried about life insurance for either one of us.
    Kali @ Common Sense Millennial recently posted…I Made My First Estimated Tax PaymentMy Profile

6. Great article, Matt! We, of course, have lots of life insurance, but I’m not sure I’d dish out for it if I were young and single again.
    Laurie @thefrugalfarmer recently posted…Frugal Fajitas RecipeMy Profile

7. It is definitely hard to contemplate life insurance when you are young and single, but as a married person with child, I am SO thankful I have it. And I LOVE how you called out the “friends who sell life insurance.” I have seen so many clients with ridiculous policies that they bought because their friend gave them this great sales pitch.
    Shannon @ Financially Blonde recently posted…Music Mondays – I Need a HeroMy Profile

8. Alicia says:

I am 28, and have term life insurance in lieu of mortgage insurance. It would clear the entire amount of the mortgage and leave about $100k leftover to deal with burial, and getting my fiancé on his feet after a serious situation like that. No kids though so the amount isn’t ridiculously high.

9. Right after I graduated from college, my friend tried to sell me life insurance. It was his first job out of college and he had been there maybe a year. I almost bought it but I’m glad I didn’t…any yes it was whole life insurance (they might be useful in some rare circumstances but for most millenials…nope!) It really would have been a waste of money. I read something online which persuaded me not to get into that…so hopefully your article reaches a lot of people and informs them of the pitfalls!
    Andrew@LivingRichCheaply recently posted…Is it REALLY Okay to Take Paternity Leave?My Profile

10. I used to sell insurance and it helps for friends just to listen. They gain free information and I get to practice. No need to worry about retirement options yet. First get term life insurance to secure your children and spouse.
    Jeff @Project Ikonz recently posted…March net worth updateMy Profile

• Matt Becker says:

I don’t think it’s always helpful for the friend to listen. If the salesman really knows what he’s talking about then sure, it’s a great opportunity to learn. But I think most young people in those sales positions are almost just as uneducated as the consumer they’re pitching to. They’re basically just regurgitating a sales pitch given to them by the company they work for, and in those cases I actually think it can be really harmful to listen to what they have to say. Free information isn’t any good if it’s bad advice.
      Matt Becker recently posted…A Real Life Product of Two Parents’ Tough Financial LoveMy Profile

11. I agree about staying away from whole life insurance. Term insurance is cheap and makes a lot of sense for most people. Whole life insurance only makes sense in certain situations, and usually with older, wealthier people.
    Holly@ClubThrifty recently posted…Cash Money: $5,459 March Income and Blog UpdatesMy Profile

12. Syed says:

I’ve been looking for a nice primer on life insurance and this is what I need. It’s something I’ve been thinking about but haven’t gotten around to unfortunately. With a stay at home wife and a one year old boy, it’s most definitely time. I’m going to start getting some quotes today. Appreciate the great info!
    Syed recently posted…It Might be Time to Cut the CordMy Profile

13. Great stuff as always, Matt. I’m also pretty conflicted about our term life insurance. Over time, it becomes less and less important as we move closer to financial independence. So we’ve lowered the amount a bit last year, and figure we’ll keep doing that as we become more financially secure…eventually being self insured, hopefully. What do you think of that approach?
    Done by Forty recently posted…What Are You Going to Do When You Retire?My Profile

14. Lillian Madrigal says:

I have basic life insurance through my company as part of my benefits – my Dad said I might not need it to support anyone, but it’ll pay for my funeral if I died. So if you’re a young professional you might want to consider that so you don’t burden your family with the expense. Anyway it was free and a default to opt in. I don’t think I would go out and seek it otherwise.

15. Great overview Matt! I think for many younger individuals insurance really shouldn’t be too much of a consideration, outside of what you stated, save for a situation where they might have medical needs or something like that. I’d avoid Whole Life like the plague, unless you’re older/wealthier or wanting burial insurance.
    John @ Sprout Wealth recently posted…How to Use Game of Thrones to Sprout WealthMy Profile

16. debt debs says:

I went over to check out the whole whole life debate thread! Whew!

We have term insurance, but I’ve been recently regretting not buying a small whole life (for burial costs) when I was young and in good health. The premiums are quite a bit less when you are younger and it would be fully paid up before retirement.

The reason I am thinking that I should have done this is because, once I retire, my company term insurance will not be available to me (I don’t think, at least not at the rates I pay now), so I will need to self insure for funeral costs (liquid investments).

I guess maybe I could have bought additional term insurance outside of my employer (I think you had mentioned that) to complement by larger term insurance to cover debts/lost earnings, but I didn’t know that at the time.

At our ages 54 and 61, additional term insurance may not be automatic (health needs to be checked out) or may be too (more) expensive.

It is what it is, nothing I can do now, but I’m wondering if my proposed strategy that I gave above would be better for millennials, including my own kids.

Your thoughts?
    debt debs recently posted…Top Ten List – What I Don’t Like About My InvestmentsMy Profile

• Matt Becker says:

Thanks for checking out the whole life article! Glad you made it out alive, haha. It gets a little intense in there.

As for your question, I’ll start by saying that I can’t speak for your personal situation, but I can answer it in a general way.

For younger generations, I would much rather see them focus on building up their savings and investments than put money into a whole life policy. Those things will probably produce much better returns and provide a lot more flexibility in terms of what they can do with their money. If they do a good job of that, they’ll have plenty of money there to handle funeral costs.

For people in their 50s and 60s, you’re right that term insurance is typically prohibitively expensive. But my advice in most cases would still be the same: rather than shelling out for whole life insurance, focus on building up savings. I would much rather see you use your money to maximize your enjoyment out of life and make sure you have things like a good will in place. You can always request a simple, inexpensive funeral, and in the meantime you’ll be using your money to build assets, not pay a premium.

But there’s no one-size-fits-all approach, and I really don’t know enough about your specific situation to give personal advice, so please take everything I say here with that grain of salt. Good luck!

17. Thanks for clearing that up! I am not married (though practically, not legally), and no kids, no house, lots of debt. None of it’s joint though, so don’t think I’ll get it. Also, I get a small life insurance amount at work, which is nice.
    Melanie@Dear Debt recently posted…A Guide to Selling Your Stuff to Pay Off DebtMy Profile

18. I definitely will be purchasing life insurance this year, as my wife and I fall under the ‘married with debt’ category. I want her to be taken care of in a worst-case scenario.
    DC @ Young Adult Money recently posted…5 Tips to Save Money When Buying a New CarMy Profile

19. I have a small policy (paid for by my job) that would cover my funeral expenses if I passed away. I don’t have kids and I’m not married so I’m not rushing out to buy more coverage. When I get married/have kids I’ll purchase a policy, but probably not until then.
    KK @ Student Debt Survivor recently posted…Is Your Debt, Your Fault?My Profile