Burnout (in Gifs)

People have been noticing that I’ve been a little quiet lately. I’m not churning out posts at my normal rate (which is still less than a lot of other bloggers).

It’s because I’m feeling like this right now…

As some of you know, I’ve recently taken a new job with a startup which is in the final stages of prep before being launched. Part of my job involves a lot of writing and editing. I also have some contracted side gigs that require I hit certain deadlines. Which at times makes me look something like this…

Ultimately, I dislike posting content on this site simply for the sake of posting. I want to spend time creating thought-provoking and educational articles.

Trying to produce quality content for my job, my freelance work and Broke Millennial has left me feeling a little bit burned out. Plus, it seems like everyone in my life has decided to have a monumental event happen in May…graduations, weddings, bachelorette parties…oh and my birthday.

So, I humbly ask that you forgive my  inconsistency with uploading posts. I’m not going anywhere. I’m just not going to be as vocal for a couple of weeks while I adjust to my new schedule and start to trim some of my side projects. Because let’s face it, some nights I need to come home and just do this…

Thanks for your understanding and patience. Feel free to let me know what you do to handle the burnout feeling!

[All gifs taken from GIPHY]

Posted in Random Tagged with:
42 comments on “Burnout (in Gifs)
  1. I feel ya, girl! I was actually just thinking about cutting my posts down from 2 per week to just 1 due to an ever-increasing workload. I would much rather have a quality-over-quantity thing going on 🙂 Hope your new job is going well, even if you do have a ton of work to do. I’m sure you’re doing AWESOME!
    Kali @ Common Sense Millennial recently posted…10 Things Every Millennial Should Do to Get Rid of Student Loan DebtMy Profile

Thanks, Kali! Yeah, I’m also flirting with not focusing on Frugal Find Friday as much and just doing a solid once-a-week post for the next month. Two per week can feel like a lot when you have those other gigs.

2. I am with you here Erin! We are in the process of buying and selling a home. It is crazy busy and I don’t have much time for anything else. Since I have so many projects going on, I only get the weekend to relax and that is starting to catch up to me!
    Grayson @ Debt Roundup recently posted…The World Through the Eyes of a Defensive PessimistMy Profile

It always boggles my mind when the bloggers with families and going through major events like home buying have time for other things. And you just launched Sprout Wealth! Crazy!

3. Michelle says:

I know exactly how you feel Erin! I have been writing for so many other websites lately that I don’t write on MSOC as much anymore. I prefer to not write just for the sake of writing on MSOC.
    Michelle recently posted…Frugality And Ethics – Are You Being Cheap, Frugal, or Stealing?My Profile

4. I am feeling the same way right now. I am pushing through, currently, but all of the different projects I am working on currently are not sustainable long-term. It’s about time to pare down the ones I am not as interested in (some, like the classes that I am taking will end naturally)!
    Dave @ The New York Budget recently posted…Bitcoin: Back to the BasicsMy Profile

It’s nice to have an end date on certain things. I’ve been having to do a lot of re-evaluating to see what is worth my time. Not just for money, but also my mental health!

5. Happy April Birthday! It has been a hectic month…both my parents birthday, my birthday are this month. And so is my best friend (his wife wants me to help plan a surprise party for him…oh boy!) My birthday is 4/20 which I didn’t learn until college had other meanings…I guess I should have left the 420 out of my e-mail address on my resume. Employers probably thought I was a pot head. I don’t really have the burnout problem since I don’t write on side projects (though I want to start) and I do not post often (though I should).
    Andrew@LivingRichCheaply recently posted…My Journey to Financial LiteracyMy Profile

Thanks, Andrew! But the birthday is actually in May, along with all the other big deal stuff happening in people’s lives. At least it’s a month of straight celebrations and me constantly getting to travel.

And I’d never heard about 4/20 until I was an RA in college. Clearly, I’m super hip.

6. LOL! Love the gifs. I hear you, Erin. My best advice is to take care of you, which it sounds like you’re doing. Trim the side projects that don’t excite you or are compensating enough for the work you do. And give yourself a break. We’ll miss you but we’ll still be here when you get recharged.

Thanks, Shannon. I’m certainly not planning to leave for good, but just take a little bit of time for R&R.

7. I recently had two small freelancing projects. While it was fun and I like the experience of doing something different, it was also stressful. I don’t mind doing those things every now and then but I definitely don’t want to want to seek them out.
    Leslie Beslie recently posted…Is Fresh Direct Worth It?My Profile

I think a lot of it comes down to how you value your time as well. I personally like having free time to relax and spend with friends. I’m not a person who loves working 24/7.

8. I have definitely “missed you” but I suspected that something like this was happening. I actually wrote my blog post on Sprout Wealth today as therapy for myself because I was definitely feeling an imbalance in my life recently. You can only do so much in a given week but good for you for acknowledging that you are at a boiling point. Can’t wait to read everything you are creating for the new company and elsewhere! Enjoy the night cheese!
    Shannon @ Financially Blonde recently posted…Music Mondays – Beer MoneyMy Profile

Night cheese is the best cheese! Thanks, Shannon and I’m sure I’ll be back swinging once I have time to recoup a little bit.

9. I’m definitely slowing down on posts, too, but I don’t have the decency to even acknowledge it with my readers. I’m secretly hoping they just don’t notice or, if they do, that they notice that they like the break away from my words. 🙂

Best of luck with the workload. May the night cheese bring you solace.
    Done by Forty recently posted…Wait Till I Get My Money Right…My Profile

I doubt they’ll like the break, but I wanted to acknowledge it mostly so I could do a post strictly out of gifs. It’s just so fun!

10. I don’t think you need to feel bad about this. Don’t know that you do, just maybe sensing it in the post. We can only do so much in life and certain things have to take priority while others have to be cut back. Plus, I feel taking a break allows me to recharge. Did that at Christmas for two weeks…posted only once. Felt great and allowed me to return fresh.
    Brian @ Luke1428 recently posted…10 Clues That Reveal It’s Time to Change Your JobMy Profile

I think I do a bit, so you’re right to read into that. It feels like I’m breaking a commitment, which I hate doing. I’ll be back soon though!

11. I could have written this myself! This past week as well as the last few months have been full speed ahead. I’m slowing down and look forward to taking care of myself. I usually write 2-3x per week, but now it’s 1-2x per week. I prefer quality as well and don’t want to feel forced to write something, but still want to stay connected. I find commenting helps if I want to stay in the game. Sanity first, because it affects your work!
    Melanie@Dear Debt recently posted…Epic FailMy Profile

Yeah, my commenting game has drastically declined lately. It’s just hard to find the time in the day right now. It probably would help if I would wake up earlier…

12. I remember you mentioning a couple weeks ago that you were feeling a bit burnt out. I also have had this feeling and sometimes you just have to prioritize what you’re doing with your time. I do stop by each day and check to see if you have something new, though, and when you do it’s exciting! haha
    DC @ Young Adult Money recently posted…Running For A CauseMy Profile

Yeah, I’ve been feeling tinges of it for a while but it’s really hit me hard lately. I promise to have more frequent content soon!

13. Keeping up with posting quality content on my own blog has been so much more difficult with an increasing freelance work load. I feel ya!
    Stefanie @ thebrokeandbeautifullife recently posted…Could You Live Without a Car?My Profile

I do like that you link out to freelance work though. Keeps your site active and exposes us to all your writing.

14. I think everyone has been there at one time or another so no worries! Come back and post when you’re ready, and good luck with the startup!
    Tonya@Budget & the Beach recently posted…Money and FamilyMy Profile

15. Ugh, I can totally relate. Take some time off. You know we’ll all still be here when you get back!
    Holly@ClubThrifty recently posted…Confession: I Don’t Have a PassionMy Profile

I don’t know how you do it! Your own blog, freelancing and raising a family. You’re one of those bloggers that boggles my mind. It’s like you have more time in the day than I do!

16. I love Gifs, did you know that the first Gif featured in a movie was Jurrasic Park. Figure out a wiggle room between your jobs because we miss you here. I want to read one of your million dollar blog here. The pictures are entertaining though. Thanks for letting us know. We are rooting for you, good luck.
    Jeff @Project Ikonz recently posted…Ebay side hustle is awesome and crap at the same timeMy Profile

Fun fact about gifs! I didn’t realize they were that old. And thanks, Jeff. I will be back soon. Just need to get through launch phase with the startup.

17. Bridget says:

Burn out is the woorrrssst. Swear to god I forgot I even had a blog during my last 2 weeks of school this term.

We miss you but excited to have you back when you’re rested and ready!!
    Bridget recently posted…Excel Is My HomeboyMy Profile

I can’t imagine balance an MBA workload with a well-established blog. But I’ll come back swinging soon!

18. Charlotte says:

It happens to the best of us, don’t worry! Prioritize, power through and hit up the night cheese as needed

19. debt debs says:

Fun gifs to support your message. I honestly don’t know how all bloggers do it. I’m exhausted and am attributing this to just getting going but we’ll see. It’s good to know that you can take a break though when you need to. 😀
    debt debs recently posted…My New Enlightenment Since Acknowledging our Debt CrisisMy Profile

20. Take a break. Honestly, take a break and don’t look back for 2 weeks or longer until you start missing the blog and get creative juices flowing.
    save. spend. splurge. recently posted…Lazy children aren’t allowed to fail in CanadaMy Profile

21. Don’t apologize we’ve all been there at some point or another. I haven’t been posting as much as I used to and I’m OK with that. Like you, I’d rather post less and put up stuff that’s meaningful or useful, instead of just posting to post.
    KK @ Student Debt Survivor recently posted…Don’t assume you know about my debt!My Profile

22. Josh @ CNA says:

Hey, we all get busy…it’s part of life. That was an awesome way to put it though, loving the gifs!
    Josh @ CNA recently posted…Being Nice Bites! My First Rental Income Fail!My Profile

23. Oh my gosh, I think this is hitting everyone right now. I thought spring was supposed to make you all energetic and happy! I really just want a nap. All the time. And some night cheese.
    Mel @ brokeGIRLrich recently posted…Accountability: April 2014My Profile

24. I understand your sentiments, EXACTLY! I think we’re actually in the exact same boat: Blog writing, freelance writing, and new job. I’ve basically decided to write about my new job process, and things like equity or cash compensation to try and fight the burnout. Nothing like going through a process to help with the writing.

I’d definitely cut down on the freelancing stuff. That has helped me dial down the stress.

Good luck!
    Financial Samurai recently posted…Equity Or Cash Compensation? Deciding What’s More Valuable To An EmployeeMy Profile

25. It means we can do lots of things in gif! I never knew such thing. I know little about latest technology so thank you for this idea.