Becoming Smarter About Money Doesn’t Have to be Boring

IMG_2514Money isn’t the root of all evil. That title truly belongs to ignorance.

Ignorance can leave intelligent people crippled with fear about what to do with their savings account or prevent them from understanding how to properly use/utilize credit cards.

Ignorance — with a dash of laziness — can be what keeps someone from contributing to an employer matched 401(k).

Unfortunately, financial education is often low on people’s priority lists because the reading material can come across as either completely dry or like a foreign language.

What’s with that alphabet soup like ROI, ETF, IRA, APY or terms like “bear market,” anyway?

The studious might lean towards picking up copies of A Random Walk Down Wall Street or Rich Dad Poor Dad.

For those who prefer to pick up their financial knowledge through osmosis, there may actually be a solution for how to passively learn about money.

Read more at TaxACT

Posted in TaxACT Tagged with: ,
14 comments on “Becoming Smarter About Money Doesn’t Have to be Boring
  1. Personally, I love learning about finances, whether in economics class or reading books. I find it fascinating. I love to learn so that I can teach others. Of course, some people make it boring, but it doesn’t have to be! I’m heading over to read the full article now.
    Kalen @ MoneyMiniBlog recently posted…Where is Your Money Really Going When You Donate to Charities?My Profile

2. I love learning about money too. Rick hates it, which I understand from a psychological standpoint (messed up money messages from when he was a kid), but from a life standpoint, I think everyone should invest in a financial education!
    Laurie @thefrugalfarmer recently posted…Prepping 101: Learn from the Past to Prep for the FutureMy Profile

It’s amazing how much our childhood can impact our adult relationship with money. I agree we should all invest in our financial education.

3. David Ryan says:

I love the idea of saving money. I just don’t know how. But not for the lack of trying.
    David Ryan recently posted…New web-siteMy Profile

It can certainly take some time to get the hang of. At least you’re trying! Feel free to email me if you need any tips on saving money.

4. Tamara says:

I think anyone who is here most likely love to read and learn something more about finances. It is very sad when someone is ignorant or from any reason don’t want to learn at least basic of finances. By my live and educational values, Financial education is first thing you should know or learn after one or two languages and mathematics. It is very important live skill.
    Tamara recently posted…How to Watch Hulu and BBC iPlayer outside US UK Canada for FREEMy Profile

I hope this site creates a safe haven for those who feel intimidated by finances, but you’re right, they’d need to at least have an interest in learning in order to be here in the first place.

5. There is so much information out there and it’s not structured in the way that’s conducive to how people actually learn. I think the reason why blogs grown and amass a following because of the social component. People are drawn to stories and learn from them.

How financial education is taught doesn’t address the way we learn about money.
    The Phroogal Jason recently posted…How Saving Money is Easier Than You ThinkMy Profile

6. Broke Millennial says:

I do love learning (and teaching) through stories!

7. Hahahaha I must be the studious. I love Rich Dad, Poor Dad! It changed my way of thinking. Never read A Random Walk Down Wall Street but I guess now I have to 🙂

8. You’re totally right! Finances needn’t be boring. I keep it exciting by sprinkling in a Hollywood film every now and then. Haha. It’s never hard to come by another biopic about a crazy banker! 😉
    Sam @ Frugaling.org recently posted…Starbucks Reserve Coffee: A Symptom Of Income InequalityMy Profile

9. Just as long it’s not boring :). Too much reading about money gives me a headache. Anyway great read, had fun reading this post.
    youtube movies

10. Emma26 says:

You are absolutely right!
    I like saving money in a productive way, thanks for sharing your story.