Broke Millennial Inks a Book Deal #GYFLT

Update: The official title is BROKE MILLENNIAL: How to Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together and it’s now available for pre-order on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

I’ll be using #GYFLT for all social posts.

That’s right – I’m going to be an author! I’ve been sitting on this news for about six months now, because I’m apparently superstitious all the sudden and felt a little like David after dentist

In early February, I signed a book deal with TarcherPerigee (a  Penguin Random House imprint). On Monday, I submitted my first manuscript! Here’s the official announcement from February:

26-year-old personal finance expert and CBS SUNDAY MORNING guest Erin Lowry’s BROKE MILLENNIAL, based on her blog of the same name, using wry humor and real-life examples to demystify the world of money for millennials and including advice on how to handle tricky financial matters that arise in personal and social situations, to Stephanie Bowen at Tarcher Perigee, for publication in Spring 2017, by Eric Myers at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management.

The book, with a working title of Broke Millennial and tentative release date of May 2, 2017, will be an easily digestible guide to personal finance. Or, in crasser terms, a perfect book for the bathroom!

IMG_4493

My awesome friends got me an ice cream cake to celebrate right after I submitted the first draft. As you can see, book writing takes a physical toll.

You’ll get the same flavor in the book that you’ve grown accustomed to on this blog. Each chapter hits on an element of personal finance including: dealing with student loans, decoding credit scores, getting financially naked with your partner, investing 101 and how to pick the right budgeting style for you. There will be story telling. There will be humor. There will be snarky comments. There is a very obvious inside joke woven throughout it, and I can’t wait to see how many people pick it up! And because everyone always asks, yup – I did get an advance.

Curious how it all happened? Here’s the full story.

It all started with an interview…

It’s so cliché to reflect on how one moment can ripple out and change your whole life – but that’s exactly what happened. I can actually point to the origin of this book getting put in motion: CBS Sunday Morning.

I spoke on the topic of millennials in the work place for a segment on CBS Sunday Morning that aired in September of 2015. The piece mentioned my blog and a New York City-based literary agent, Eric Myers, saw the segment.

A day later he sent me an email saying he’d seen me on CBS Sunday Morning then checked out the blog and wondered if I’d ever considered writing a book?

Of course I had! One of my first childhood dream jobs was to be a writer (and the White House Press Secretary – fun fact). I’d actually been offered a book deal before, but it was a small operation with no real resources to promote a book, plus I still felt green at the time, so I decided to turn it down.

12698237_10153582999541137_8883090275339917944_oEric and I ended up getting lunch and I decided to sign with him shortly after.

Then the proposal process started.

I could never have successfully pitched myself to publishers without Eric’s guidance on the proposal process and skills in securing a deal. That thing was a beast and required so many nuances of which I never would’ve thought to include on my own.

After some back-and-forth, Eric and I finally felt the proposal was ready. Except, it was mid-December, which seemed like a terrible time to be trying to pitch a book, so we held on to it until January.

On January 11, Eric announced the proposal in the Dystel & Godrich Literary Management newsletter.

At the tender age of 26, Erin Lowry has already become the go-to authority on money matters for the millennial generation. Her popular blog, Broke Millennial, offers answers to all questions about personal finance for millennials, and does it in a wry, irreverent tone that speaks volumes to her peers. She is also a regular contributor to U.S. News and World Report and has been featured in Forbes and USA TODAY and on CBS Sunday Morning.  She is now ready to make Broke Millennial a book, a personal-finance guide that will give millennials the answers to questions they don’t even know they should be asking. Like her blog, Broke Millennial will use a conversational tone, storytelling, and embarrassing personal anecdotes to demystify personal finance for Lowry’s generation, a generation that often finds itself saddled with $30,000 worth of student-loan debts at age 22. Chapter titles like “Getting Financially Naked With Your Partner,” “Down the Rabbit Hole of Insurance,” and “Investing 101: Keep It Simple” will give readers a sense of control over their lives in this precarious economy. As she puts it, plenty of millennials “may be ridiculed for continuing to live off parental welfare way beyond college. But often times I find that it’s simply because they have not been given the tools, or the shove out of the nest, to get by without it. How are we supposed to survive and thrive financially if we are never given the skills to do it?”

Then, we waited.

I got one of the nicest rejections of my life when an editor said she found my voice more hip and engaging than a well-known personal finance author – but she couldn’t acquire mine as it was still a bit too similar and would compete with the backlist on said author’s book.

By January 22, I had in-person meetings with two major publishing houses.

On February 4, I had two offers.

On February 9, I formally accepted with TarcherPerigee!

I submitted the first draft of my manuscript on Monday (July 18th) and will be entering the edit phase quite quickly in order to ensure the book can hit shelves in May of 2017. I can’t wait to share more updates, especially cover design options!

Hope you’ll all join team #GYFLT!

Okay, I’m going to go back to doing my happy dance, which looks something like this:

Posted in About Broke Millennial, Book
59 comments on “Broke Millennial Inks a Book Deal #GYFLT
  1. Wow, congratulations! How exciting 🙂
    Francesca – From Pennies to Pounds recently posted…How to Save Money on Your Food/Grocery Shopping Bill!My Profile

2. Congrats, Erin! I can’t wait to read it!
    Mel @ brokeGIRLrich recently posted…Keep Costs Down While Being a Local “Tourist” in Your HometownMy Profile

3. This is amazing, Erin! So unbelievably pumped for you! 🙂
    Kate @ Cashville Skyline recently posted…My Tenth Net Worth OvershareMy Profile

• Broke Millennial® says:

Thank you!! Nashville is of course on my dream book tour list, so I’ll be coming your way eventually!

4. Jim Wang says:

Congratulations, that’s so awesome!

Writing a book can be so daunting, any lessons learned from the process so far?
    Jim Wang recently posted…Robinhood App Review – Free Trades, What Could Be Better?My Profile

• Broke Millennial® says:

Not to procrastinate! Woof, I had a lot of late nights in the final few weeks before submitting the first draft.

5. Wow, congratulations! I love the story behind the book deal too.
    Aliyyah @RichAndHappyBlog recently posted…How to Find Reliable Personal Finance Information OnlineMy Profile

6. CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you. Looking forward to reading the book in a year 🙂
    Julie @ Millennial Boss recently posted…Working In Your Passion is OverratedMy Profile

7. Mrs Groovy says:

Very exciting. I can’t wait to look for the inside joke. Just in time to plug for Mothers Day ’17 – to mothers of millennials. Congrats!
    Mrs Groovy recently posted…Why Aren’t You Living in a Trailer?My Profile

• Broke Millennial® says:

Ohhhh, hadn’t even thought of that! My big focus is graduation season. And let me know if you can’t figure out the joke and I’ll gleefully point it out!

8. Ryan Doberstein says:

I’m so happy for you, Erin! You deserve this so much! Your humor mixed with excellent advice and examples will make this an excellent read! I’m looking forward to getting a copy!

9. Kara Stevens says:

Congratulations! A mentor once told me, “you never know who is watching.” So true. This is an inspiring story.

• Broke Millennial® says:

That is so true! It also makes me feel like I should dress more nicely when I leave the house… 😛

10. Congratulations! I can’t wait to read AND have you come back on the show to talk about it around launch day. Because we all could use some advice from the Broke Millennial who is #BrokeNoMore 😉

11. J. Money says:

Congrats!!! SO cool!!!
    J. Money recently posted…One Minute Goal Setting For Your FinancesMy Profile

12. Wonderful news! I’m so happy for you 🙂
    Harmony @ CreatingMyKaleidoscope recently posted…The Momentum-Building Magic Of Small GainsMy Profile

13. How awesome and inspiring! Don’t forget about the rest of us little bloggers (JK!)

14. Broke Millennial® says:

Never (because I’ll still be one)!!! I’ll also need help with my launch team too!

15. So awesome and loved seeing you break down the timeline of events! Can’t wait to grab a copy. Great job!
    Colin // RebelwithaPlan recently posted…Creating Positivity on DemandMy Profile

16. Wow that is fantastic news. It sounds like all your hard work is paying off and congratulations! It’s great when millennials are doing life changing work 🙂

17. That’s awesome, Erin — congratulations!! 😀
    Sarah Noelle @ The Yachtless recently posted…A Mini-Goal AchievedMy Profile

18. Congratulations Erin!! That’s awesome!
    Tonya@Budget & the Beach recently posted…Breaking Down My Core Values: HealthMy Profile

19. Jamie says:

Amazing! I’d definitely grab a copy of your book. Congrats!
    Jamie recently posted…4 Reasons Why You May Want to Rent Instead of Buy a Piece of PropertyMy Profile

20. Kelly says:

OMG. That’s a great news! I am so excited to read your book!
    Kelly recently posted…4 Reasons Why You May Want to Rent Instead of Buy a Piece of PropertyMy Profile

21. Congrats! That’s a big accomplishment.
    Fervent Finance recently posted…5 Nights in Cancun on PointsMy Profile

22. John says:

Hi there, and congratulations! Thanks for going through the process of how it all unfolded. Definitely interesting and inspiring. Good luck!

23. Congratulations!! I’m so happy for you!!

24. Congratulations!! I can’t wait to read it. I’m sure Broke Millennial will be as good of a book as it is a blog!

25. Liz says:

I’d be ready for it in May 2017. Gotta grab a copy of your book!
    Liz recently posted…Who spends money on mobile games?My Profile

26. That is really amazing, congratulations! Can’t say I’m not suffering a bit from the jealousy bug but who knows what the future holds?
    Scott @ Couple of Sense recently posted…We’re Launching a PodcastMy Profile

27. Congratulations! That’s so awesome!
    Frugal Millennial recently posted…Month in Review: July 2016My Profile

28. HOLY CRAP! I am so excited for you, and I will be one of the first ones to buy. Also, this may be the first personal finance book I read – so I’m extremely thrilled. WOOOOOOOO
    Alyssa Fischer recently posted…I Got Married! And I’m Still Debt-Free.My Profile

29. That is freaking awesome!! Congrats. Super cool!
    Alexander @ Cash Flow Diaries recently posted…July 2016 Net Worth UpdateMy Profile

30. Congrats! Love your blog. Wish I could keep mine up and actually add value to the community like you do. 🙂 It takes a lot of work. You deserve this. I’ll def buy a copy of your book for my sister who is a broke millennial.

31. Man, I’m sorry I’m late to the party on this one!! This is great news!! Congratulations! I can’t wait to read it!!

32. Very exciting stuff Erin! Crazy how one thing can lead to another, and another, and another. Just gotta be in it to win it!

That’s great Eric helped you pitch so much. It must be an arduous process. It’s cool to live in NYC where there is so much access to the literary world.

Congrats!

Sam
    Sam @ Financial Samurai recently posted…Shh! Private Deals Are Not To Be Discussed PubliclyMy Profile

33. Santanu D says:

Congrats and good luck for your future plans. First time in your blog and its really a great experience. keep up the good work.
    Santanu D recently posted…How To Start A Blog In 3 Easy Steps Within BudgetMy Profile