Reflecting on 4 Years as Broke Millennial

In the midst of writing under deadline for a client I glanced at my wall calendar and noticed the next day was January 24. Why did that date seem important? The question nagged in the back of my mind for a little bit. A quick Facebook check confirmed I wasn’t missing an important birthday. Peach and I have our anniversary in September…but anniversary…then it clicked. I’d completely forgotten Broke Millennial’s birthday! Perhaps it’s like a couple that’s been together for so long they sort of forget about the anniversary dates.

Four years ago I just wanted to write funny stories and help some of my friends get their financial lives together. This blog has changed the trajectory of my career, twice. It helped me achieve a childhood dream, just not in the way I expected. It’s allowed me to travel more both personally and professionally. It’s lead me into a world where I’ve created offline, real-life friendships with women and men whom I greatly respect.

And most importantly, I’ve learned there’s just no way to get a good still shot of yourself talking.

Highlights of 2016

Failures of 2016

• Didn’t accomplish any of the goals outlined in my last Broke Millennial “birthday” post.
  • Felt really disconnected from the larger personal finance community as I found less time to read other blogs and interact with people online.

Goals for 2017

I detailed a lot of my goals in my first post of 2017, but Broke Millennial-specifics ones include:

• Launching a podcast
  • Actually starting a newsletter (for reals this time)
  • Redesigning the site, which is in the works now and will actually be happening!
  • Building my email list, which you can help with right now by joining!

Favorite Posts from 2016

Post I was Most Hesitant to Publish

Most Viewed Post from 2016

Most Importantly…

THANK YOU so much to you, you person reading this right now,  for reading/subscribing/following/commenting/emailing/making this site become more than the ramblings of just another millennial.

Join the Squad

Image from Unsplash

Posted in About Broke Millennial
24 comments on “Reflecting on 4 Years as Broke Millennial
  1. Congrats on 4 years! That’s great! And even better news with the book deal and that wrapping up/getting ready to be launched. How exciting. Sounds like a great start to 2017 already!
    The Green Swan recently posted…A FIRE-side Chat with Mr. and Mrs. GroovyMy Profile

2. Money Beagle says:

Four years is a good long time and you’ve made some great steps and taken on a lot of new challenges. Hopefully the next four years continue to bring good things.
    Money Beagle recently posted…Have You Observed Gender Equality During Your Career?My Profile

• Broke Millennial® says:

I know plenty of bloggers are far more senior than I, but I think I’m easily a middle-aged blogger now. 😛

3. Happy blog birthday! Seems like the new year is a popular time to start a blog – I just started mine last year around this time as well.

Looking forward to more of the stuff you’ve been putting out. Love it! 🙂

• Broke Millennial® says:

Probably in an effort to hold yourself accountable or be more creative? It wasn’t a resolution, but I wish it had been because then I’d have actually been successful at one.

4. Happy blogiversary, Erin! I’m looking forward to both the book and podcast 🙂
    Kate @ Cashville Skyline recently posted…Side Hustle Your Way Out of DebtMy Profile

5. Anna Y says:

Can’t wait to hear your podcast! I don’t know of another financial millennial podcast and I think it could be a hit. You’ve created an awesome platform already. I am recently podcast-obsessed and it’s really the direction most blogs are going. It’s also great for generating revenue with ads! Cheers to year 5!

• Broke Millennial® says:

I’m uber-podcast upset, so narrowing down to a format has been rough! So many great styles already out there.

6. Happy 4th! We’ll have to toast to it next week 🙂

7. This is awesome!!! Congrats on 4 years. Can’t wait to hear the podcast! We’d love to have you on the Millennial Money Minutes podcast to promote your book if you are interested! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/millennial-money-minutes-personal/id1185368686?mt=2
    Millennial Money recently posted…Are Stocks Too Expensive? Hell NoMy Profile

8. Happy blog birthday! I’m really looking forward to your book! Awesome cover.
    Colin // RebelwithaPlan recently posted…Emotional Spending is AwesomeMy Profile

• Broke Millennial® says:

Thanks, Colin! I’m so pleased with how the cover turned out. It actually ended up being a mash up of the two options the publisher originally presented me.

9. Though 2016 might not have been a good year, you still have this year to accomplish those. It’s never too late. Happy Fourth!

10. Congrats on 4 years. I hope 2017 is amazing for you!
    Michelle Schroeder-Gardner recently posted…How to Live Like Carrie Bradshaw Without Going BrokeMy Profile

11. Looks like you have had a fantastic year. Good for you!

12. Fred says:

Yay! Congrats on your accomplishment, and thanks for sharing your top post.
    Fred recently posted…My Eldest Son Is Going to KindergartenMy Profile

13. Fabi I says:

Wow, 4 years already! I hope you can reach all the goals you set yourself! Can’t wait for your podcast!
    I also wish you good luck for building your email list, email marketing has a huge potential.
    Best regards,
    Fabi

14. Congrats on 4 years of blogging! I can’t wait to have been doing it that long, I feel like I am still muddling through in my 10th month!