As a childless, unmarried, 24-year-old living in New York City, I desperately wish my life even slightly resembled Sex and the City. Mostly because Carrie Bradshaw never cooked. It’s a running theme in the show. Her oven is used for storage space and she eats out every meal. I can swing the occasional boozy brunch, but eating out on a regular basis would send me into debt faster than Samantha Jones runs to the bars during Fleet Week (yeah, the real SATC fans just got the reference).
Alas, I come home after work, drop my keys onto the bar stool that serves as a side table, throw my purse on the couch and go straight for my freezer. Because I work all day and usually just come home to work some more on my side hustle, the last thing I want to do is cook. Instead, I spend a few hours each weekend holed up in my kitchen to cook in bulk.
I’ve previously professed my love for the simple Crock-Pot, but the oven and stove usually get in on the action too. I cue up a few episodes of whatever show I want on in the background and bop around my kitchen throwing spices, sauces, noodles, meat and veggies into various pots and pans. When it’s all done I usually have a full week of lunches and dinners prepared and put away in the fridge and freezer. There is usually one or two stray meals in the freezer from a previous week in case I want to mix up my meals a bit.
Luckily, I’m no foodie. Eating the same meal multiple times in one week isn’t going to bother me so to cook in bulk on the weekend is a perfect time saver during the week. I’ve also discovered when I cook in bulk, I’m less likely to go out to eat on a whim. I already know I have a meal prepared at home, and in some cases I’m really looking forward to whatever I’ve prepared!
If you’re a fellow bulk cooker, please share some of your favorite recipes in the comment section. I’m always on the hunt for new ones. My current favorite is Chicken Tikka Masala.
My Weekly Recap:
- DailyFinance: Millennials, Don’t Take Financial Advice From Your Parents
- My Dad and I were on HuffPost Live alongside Emily from EvolvingPF to chat about why parents should charge kids rent. You can watch the full segment below!
Favorite Posts: The Made Me Feel Like I Was In A Glass case of Emotion Edition
- My First Marathon: NYC 2013 by Stefanie on The Broke and Beautiful Life (Felt: pain and admiration)
- ‘Save Ferris!’ What Ferris Bueller’s Kidney Fund Could Be Worth Today by Our Freaking Budget on DailyFinance (Felt: amused)
- Why is Obamacare Taking Away My HSA? by Holly on ClubThrify (Felt: Betrayed and really annoyed for Holly)
- So You’re Happy Huh? Keep Telling Yourself That by Ben on The Wealth Gospel (Felt: Slightly panicked and inspired)